Connecting ideas, sparking creativity
Innovation is at the heart of 3M, a global company whose products can be found in virtually every corner of the consumer, tech and industrial sectors. Creativity takes place 24 hours a day in research and development labs scattered around the world, each working on different products or their variations. 3M believed that if they could improve the flow of communication between all their technical employees, they could save time helping each other, share ideas and bring them closer together.
The 3M Socialcast community dubbed “Spark,” helps employees keep in touch with colleagues, no matter where they are based. Communication flows more easily, while Socialcast security and privacy features ensure the safety of 3M’s intellectual property. Through Socialcast, 3M has created the experience of working in “one big lab” where employees can collaborate as easily as turning to a trusted colleague down the hall to ask a question.
- Information is more accessible, helping solve problems in real time
- 2,000 Socialcast community members after the first year—and growing
- Strong mobile offering allows lab workers to securely take their work with them
- Easy to use as part of the daily flow of work, with little training
- Socialcast analytics help managers to identify ‘influencers’ and experts